The Story of Kolkata
Situated in the Eastern part of India, on the bank of river Ganga.
Population: 14 Million - Third Largest Metro Area in India.
Area: 730 Sq. Miles
Founded in 1690 as a Business Hub.
Served as Capital of British Asia from 1767 to 1911.
India’s Freedom Movement started from Kolkata.
19 Years old Khudiram was the First Martyr.
Social Renaissance Started from Kolkata.
Still Cultural Capital of India.
Major Attractions of Kolkata
- Icon of Kolkata
- Grand Museum of Art and History
- Icon of Kolkata
- 2300 feet suspended bridge
- Home to the Largest Tree in terms of Cover Area
- 250 Years Old
- The Largest Mangrove Forest
- Home to Royal Bengal Tigers
- Oldest & Largest Museum in India
- Founded in 1814
Heart of the City
- Commercial Hub
- House of R N Tagore
- Now a Museum
Mother Teresa House
- Christian Religious Assembly
- Missionaries of Charity
- Founded by Swami Vivekananda, secular religious leader
- Architecture includes Christian, Islamic, Hindu and Buddhist art
- In memory of James Princep, built in 1843
- One of the Oldest Recreational Spots
South Park Street Cemetery
- Constructed in 1760s, one of the oldest non-church cemeteries of the world
Seven Wonders in Eco Park
- 480 acres park, surrounded by a 104 acres waterbody
- Replica of seven wonders
Interesting Facts about Kolkata
Traditional Bengali Men’s Dress: Dhuti - Panjabi
Traditional Bengali Women’s Dress: Saree.
Biggest Festival: Durga Puja.
6 Nobel Laureates so far
R N Tagore was the 1st Asian Nobel Prize Winner (1913)
Google CEO Sundar Pichai
Graduated from IIT which is adjacent to Kolkata.
Kolkata has a bustling IT Hub
One of the top IT Hubs in India.
Salt Lake Stadium
World’s 2nd/10th Largest Football Stadium
World’s 3rd Largest Cricket Stadium
Kolkata Book Fair
Asia’s Largest Book Fair, World’s 3rd Largest.
Oldest and only Riverine Port of India
Oldest Polo club
Kolkata has the Oldest Polo club in the World
Bollywood Singer created World Record by Recording 28 Songs in a Single Day
Serves as the ‘How To Manual’ of other Religious Books